automated build process
von Gaylord, am 17 August 2009 - 0 Kommentare
Since i am a PHP guy, i asked myself a few questions instead of just repeating the Java world (which i used to be part of some years ago, but now things are different).
What do we need from a build system in PHP?
- SVN support
- ZIP support
- Embedding of a JS compressor (ok, that was not easy, needed rhino which is java again)
- manipulating / generating config files out of configuration databases
- logging of deployment processes
- building RPMs
- transferring packages to remote systems
- calling web services to unpack there
So guess what: I think the perfect scripting language for this job is: PHP!
We built a small management system and some scripts in PHP and voilà: It works fine. Even more interesting: No special knowhow needed. Everyone can look in the code and understands how the build process works. And virtually no limits! We even fake a Browser and use the customer's web based upload service directly from our build system. And if we need to change the process: It's easy, all PHP.
I think we have a good solution now...